4.30.2013

Library Up-do. Part III: Horn Elementary

Part III: Horn Elementary.

Horn Elementary was originally built in the late 60's, and the unique layout is reminiscent of a terminal with different wings, with the hexagon-shaped library being the hub.  Lots of meetings occur in this space, naturally.  As students go through the library in between their classes, there is always the hustle and bustle of being in transit.

With that in mind, we wanted to create a welcoming sense of space in the hub, with a playful, uplifting touch.  Designed and painted lettering and illustrations, and added some floating cloud-shaped signage to spice it up a bit.

Sketches first. 














Then painting.

















After doing a several of these, I think the best part is talking to the kids while I am working.  I am constantly encouraged by these young minds, so curious and fascinated, they have the sparkles in their eyes.  I was given advice from several and compliments by many.  One little lady told me that she loves watching me paint because I am graceful.  What!!? It melted my heart a couple of times.

I feel so honored to be able to touch these minds in some little way.  The future is looking bright, I'd say. 

Cheers to that!






3 comments:

  1. I smile every time I walk through the library and see your beautiful work and inspiring words painted there. Thank you so much for lending your talents to our building and making the heart of our school a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, that makes me so happy!! Thank you so much!! xo, sayuri

      Delete
  2. さゆりさん

    初めまして。mikoともうします。私North Libertyに住んでる日本人です。さゆりさんのクラゲの作品をダウンタウンのショップで初めて見たときに、一気に一目惚れしました!!! 今回のProjectもすばらしいですね!!もう一気にファンになっちゃいました!これからも可愛い作品楽しみにしています!
    Miko

    ReplyDelete